The New York Public Library offers a metadata enhancement service to libraries using SimplyE. Named a metadata wrangler, the service contacts known sources of book metadata and cover images in order to enhance the data that is supplied by publishers or content providers such as Overdrive, Axis 360, and Bibliotheca. The enhanced metadata facilitates end-user searching of collections and, in the case of covers, provides a more appealing visual interface to the SimplyE apps by supplying covers for many titles where the original provider does not. Follow these steps to make the service available to your Circulation Manager instance. Additionally, the service establishes a normalized categorization and description of the book for use if the provider does not supply one. THis is necessary so that the circulation manager can properly organize the collection for presentation and navigation by users.
- Login to your Circulation Manager's administration site.
- Click the Configuration or the System Configuration link in the top menu bar.
- Click the Metadata sidebar item.
- Click the Create a new metadata service item.
- Enter a name for the shared Library Simplified Metadata Wrangler service; for example,
NYPL Metadata Wrangler. the url is https://metadata.librarysimplified.org/
- In the Protocol list, select the Library Simplified Metadata Wrangler item.
- You can accept the supplied URL for the shared metadata wrangler service. (e.g. https://metadata.librarysimplified.org/ )
- Click the Submit button to save the integration.
|Note: If you happen to receive an error message (Error: The library could not complete your request because a third-party service has failed), the Wrangler server may be experiencing high volume or be down for maintenance. Try waiting ten minutes or so and re-submit the form. If you continue to experience the error, post a message in the #devops channel in Slack.|